The Cabinet Color Shift slightly warms the tone of the wood without covering the wood grain. Color shifts are generally performed to remove the yellowing look wood gets from aged oil based finishes. This is a great look for customers who want a little darker tone to their cabinets. This process is another great way to save homeowners the cost of traditional refinishing while warming-up the kitchen and giving it a great new look, especially when dealing with wear caused by sun-fading and humidity. Typically a color shift will take 2-3 days to complete.
The Stages of the N-Hance Wood Refinishing Process
Our variety of services range from a color shift to a complete color change for both cabinets and wood flooring. Here’s an outline of our processes for a full cabinet color change, but all of our services run a very similar process.
Step 1: Prep & Detail
- After consultation and being certain of your desires for your cabinets, we get to work.
- Preparation of the job site is accomplished by masking and draping the work area to protect your property.
- We remove knobs and other hardware.
- If needed, we will patch and fill any cracks and gaps in the wood to make it look new again.
Step 2: Cleaning
- Here we remove dust and debris on and around the cabinets. We use our unique cleaning solution to clean the surfaces.
- Our cleaning draws dirt out of the porous wood.
- To ensure the area is completely dust-free, we remove and clean air vents.
Step 3: Apply Finish
- We “remove the grain raise”, which simply means making the wood smoother, and remove contaminants.
- Sealer is applied.
- For a color change, we spray 3 to 5 coats of stain on each piece. (With color shift jobs, color coats are applied by hand.)
- Cabinets are then dried (often with a fan).
- We polish the cabinets before adding a finish. This is also known as burnishing.
Step 4: Add Protective Finish (applies to Color Shift and Color Change only)
- A clear coat is applied to protect the stain from rubbing off in the future.
- After a short dry time, a second coat is applied.
- (For floors, we use our Lightspeed technology to instantly cure the finish)
Step 5: Inspection
- We want you to be happy with the results!
- We inspect every piece and place it all back together. We wait for your inspection and O.K. to ensure your satisfaction.
- N-Hance of Franklin has a full customer satisfaction guarantee!
Step 6: In-Home Maintenance
- When your cabinet renewal is complete, we will leave you with care instructions. Every service includes a maintenance kit with more instructions and tools to care for your newly renewed cabinets.