If you’re planning to reface your kitchen cabinets, you have many possibilities to choose from. Thanks to modern technology, you can select from a rainbow of colors.
However, in order to create an aesthetic you love, you need to take into account other elements around your cabinets. This includes your floors. If they’re hardwood, how do you mix or match them with your newly refaced kitchen cabinets? Below are some helpful strategies to consider:
Don’t Worry About a Perfect Match When Refacing Kitchen Cabinets
In the past, design experts recommended matching woods to avoid any visual conflicts. However, this can be nearly impossible when you take into account factors like the unique grain pattern and finish of your hardwood floors.
It’s also an outdated concept. Instead, today’s experts recommend mixing different woods. This provides contrast, better defining the space and making it more visually interesting.
Avoid Dark Cabinets with Dark Hardwood Floors
When you’re looking to reface your kitchen cabinets, keep the stain or finish on your floors in mind. If it’s a darker hue, you’ll want to avoid a similar color for your cabinets. If you do choose dark cabinets, it will overwhelm the space, blurring out details.
If, however, your floors are a medium tone or have a lighter stain, you have more flexibility and can choose either darker or lighter cabinets, any of which will highlight the architecture of your kitchen.
Remember That Opposites Attract
Whether your hardwood floors are lighter, darker or somewhere in between, many paint colors can pop against them, making a statement in the process. Some options to consider include:
- Combining dark hardwood floors, such as walnut, with white, gray or taupe-colored cabinets to create a dramatic look.
- Balancing the red tones in red oak hardwood flooring with white or gray cabinets.
- Using cream color cabinets to provide a distinct transition from the floor to the ceiling if you have cherry hardwood floors. If you’re looking for something more unique, colors like green or blue can also work well. Just avoid shades with a yellow undertone, which will clash with the red in your floors.
- Refacing your kitchen cabinets with a darker color, like charcoal or espresso, if your hardwood floors are lighter, such as white oak. If you’d prefer a hint of color, opt for a pastel one, like light blue, which will have a calming effect on the space.
- Identifying the dominant shade if you have hickory wood floors – which can be dark, light or red in nature – then choosing your cabinet color based on what will complement it. Some ideas include pine- or moss-colored cabinets to highlight the warmth of your floors, or neutrals, like cream or soft gray.
Keep Countertops in the Mix
Beyond your hardwood floors, you should also factor your countertops into your kitchen cabinet refacing project. If you have granite or a counter with multiple colors in it, it’s always a good idea to pick one of the shades and highlight it with your cabinet paint color. This will ensure all the elements complement each other and tie in together, while also providing some contrast.
Reface Your Kitchen Cabinets with Expert Help
If you’re still not quite sure which paint color or stain to choose for your cabinet refacing project, get help from the experts. Considering the amount of time and money you’re investing into an upgrade, it’s worth it to connect with a professional.
At N-Hance®, we can help you with every aspect of your decision making process. We’ll discuss the existing elements in your kitchen, including the floors and counters, and how different colors will impact the overall mood. We’ll show you all your options and even provide samples so there aren’t any unwanted surprises with the outcome.
Creating a visual that’s beautiful and striking can be a challenge if you don’t have a lot of experience. Instead of worrying about your choices, turn to the team at N-Hance. We’ll work with you every step of the way, so you get cabinets that look new and a transformed kitchen space you love. Just take a look at our photo gallery and see for yourself the results we’ve achieved for many happy customers.
If you’d like to learn more about how we can help you mix and match newly refaced kitchen cabinets with your existing hardwood floors, call your local N-Hance at (855) 642-6230 today to set up a FREE design consultation.